Teaching with Textiles: Collections in the Classroom and the Community
Showcasing student research projects of objects from the Avenir Museum’s permanent collection and…
presenting content from the Historic Textiles undergraduate course, this exhibition furthers the Avenir Museum’s mission of teaching all of our community, within and beyond the classroom, through the lens of historic textiles and clothing. Visitors will learn more about what it means to have a teaching collection, the role of a campus museum to teach both the students and the larger community, and the importance of interpreting textiles and clothing from an inclusive perspective.
Thursday Evening Lecture Series – April 4, 2019
“Teaching with Textiles”
What does it mean that Colorado State University’s Avenir Museum has a “teaching collection”? Avenir Museum Curator Katie Knowles, Ph.D. will discuss how the museum’s collection is integral to the Historic Textiles course she teaches in the Department of Design and Merchandising, and how textiles can be used in the classroom to teach CSU’s Principles of Community: Inclusion; Integrity; Respect; Service; Social Justice. This talk accompanies the exhibition “Teaching with Textiles: Collections in the Classroom and the Community” and will include information about the development and thought behind the course, and how classroom content was reinterpreted for a community- focused gallery exhibition.
Cost: FREE and open to the public
Location: Avenir Museum, Classroom 157, 216 East Lake Street, UCA-East building
Location and Hours
The Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising is our flagship location, featuring exhibitions from our extensive collection of textile and historic costume artifacts.
- Location: 216 E. Lake Street, University Center for the Arts-East building – Campus Map
- Hours: Monday through Friday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Admission: Free; self-guided
- Closed for University Holidays, Fall, Winter (December 24-28, 2018) and Spring Breaks
- Contact: (970) 491-1983
- Parking: There is no dedicated visitor parking for the Avenir Museum. On-street parking is located in the neighborhoods surrounding the University Center for the Arts and the Avenir Museum.
- Fall 2018 – Cloth as Community: Hmong Textiles in America
- Spring 2018 – FABRICation
- Fall 2017 – Fashioned by Faculty: Creative Scholarship
- Spring and Summer 2017 – Tying the Knot
- Fall 2016 – Layers of Meaning: Color and Design in Guatemalan Textiles, Part 2
- Spring 2016 – Layers of Meaning: Color and Design in Guatemalan Textiles, Part 1