New Start for Student Veterans Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if New Start is right for me?
New Start may be the right fit for any CSU student veteran or anticipated transfer to CSU from Front Range Community College who wants to:
- Ease adjustment from military to student life.
- Be more organized.
- Improve academic effectiveness.
- Implement tools and strategies that compensate for memory or concentration challenges.
- Increase physical access.
What services do you provide?
Services are individualized and commonly focus on:
- Assessment to identify specific challenges, needs, strengths, interests and goals.
- 1:1 support of a Transition Coordinator to facilitate:
- Adjustment to academic/campus culture for maximizing success in a new environment.
- Implementation of strategies and tools that compensate for memory, concentration and physical challenges.
- Acquisition of adaptive equipment and assistive technologies for enhanced mobility and academic access.
- Stress management and resilience strategies and resources.
- Use of critical academic skills such as setting, planning and achieving goals; identification of challenges and needs; time management; effective decision-making.
- Connection to campus and community resources.
Is there a fee for services?
No; all services are free. The New Start program is funded by charitable donations, allowing services to be offered at no cost.
New Start’s primary benefactor is Dr. Dennis Repp, a distinguished CSU alumnus and military veteran with a passion for supporting veterans in making a New Start after military service. We can’t thank him enough for inspiring this active and vital program here at CSU.
How do I get started?
You can complete your application today using our online application form. A New Start representative will contact you to complete your enrollment.
What if I'm still not sure if New Start is right for me?
Get in touch with us and we can help answer your questions. Feel free to email our program coordinator Erica Billingsley with your questions.