Notice: Dr. Leslie Cunningham-Sabo will be retiring in June 2022 and is not taking on any new advisees.
Our research and outreach efforts focus on developing, implementing, and evaluating school- and family-based interventions to effectively address childhood obesity and promote healthy habit development. We also investigate the application and results of Policy, System and Environmental initiatives on Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL). Areas of emphasis include:
- experiential education to enhance children’s cooking skills and exposure to and preferences for fruits and vegetables
- behavioral economic strategies to enhance students’ selection and consumption of healthful meal choices and reduce food waste in the cafeteria
- evidence-based programs to encourage children’s active play
- barriers and facilitators to implement and evaluate HEAL initiatives across the spectrum of individual, policy, system and environmental activities
- prepare graduate students for leadership roles in maternal and child health nutrition through education, policy/advocacy projects, and interacting with Maternal and Child Health leaders
- provide research experiences for undergraduate and graduate students