Creating collaborative opportunities for students and industry members within the field of fermentation sciences.
The FST Laboratory facilities include the New Belgium Brewing Fermentation Science and Technology Laboratory, the New Belgium Kitchen and Sensory Lab, and the Anheuser-Busch Foundation Quality Laboratory. Within these spaces students, program leaders, and industry collaborate to conduct applied research projects. Students have the opportunity to complete undergraduate research through their capstone or honors course requirements, and also may use the labs for independent study or internship projects. Industry members are welcome to work with students and program leaders to conduct research that is relevant and meaningful. If you are interested in collaborating please reach out to one of the FST Team members.
The Fermentation Science and Technology Laboratory facilities were made possible by donations from New Belgium Brewing Company, Anheuser-Busch Foundation, and Odell Brewing Company.
Fermentation Science and Technology Laboratory Example Past Projects and Industry Collaborations
- Determining Optimal Non-Commercial Nutrient Broth for the Detection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus in a Mixed Vulture – Collaborator: Left Hand Brewing Company
- Fermentation Characterization and Sensory Panel Preference of Combined vs Staggered Pitch Sour Beers – Collaborator: Gilded Goat Brewing Co.
- Establishing Testing Methods to Classify and Quantify Microorganisms Throughout a Méthode Traditionnelle Coolship Beer Fermentation – Collaborator: Primitive Beer
- Biotransformation of Hop Aroma Compounds – Collaborator: New Belgium Brewing
- Quantifying Wood: Methods to Determine Tannin Extraction and Turbidity From American Oak in Beer and Neutral Grain Spirits – Collaborator: Squarrel Square Barrels, and Purpose Brewing & Cellars
- Over or under the limit? Alcohol Measurement Comparisons in Kombucha – Collaborator: Kathinka Labs
- How Bitter is Your Beer? Hop Utilization and Alpha-Acid Isomerization After Boil – Collaborator: Horse & Dragon Brewing Company
- Comparison of Perceived Sourness, pH, and Titratable Acidity of Sour Beers – Collaborator: Gilded Goat