The Colorado Child Welfare Stipend Program at Colorado State University in the School of Social Work is designed to support the education of professional social workers to effectively serve families who use public child welfare services. Funds come from Title IV-E of the Social Security Act, which provides support for child welfare services, training, and education.
All students receiving a child welfare stipend make a commitment to employment in a Colorado Department of Human Services following graduation. Students must work one calendar year for each academic year of funding. Based on the needs of the state, students not securing employment within two months of graduation may be required to accept employment in a rural county designated by the state.
- MSW stipends provide between $8,000-$10,100 in funding, provided in two payments (fall/spring)
- BSW stipends provide between $4,000- $6,100 in funding, provided in two payments (fall/spring)
- BSW students must be approved to complete SOWK 488 as a concurrent placement during the fall and spring semester of the 2019-2020 academic year
- MSW students must be approved to complete SOWK 688 during fall 2019 and spring 2020
- Students must be selected for a field placement within a DHS office
- Students will complete the IV-E application and participate in an interview for stipend recipient selection
How to Apply
Completed applications must be submitted to Sarah Rudisill in EDUC 127 by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 7, 2020.
To apply for a child welfare stipend, you must:
- attend an information session,
- complete the appropriate application form linked below (note guidelines for first-time vs. second-time applicants) ,
- and submit two recommendations using the form linked below.
Child Welfare Stipend Information Sessions
All applicants must attend a Child Welfare Stipend information session prior to applying for the stipend. If you are unable to attend one of the information sessions, you can schedule an individual appointment with Sarah Rudisill by contacting her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Nov. 19 at 10 a.m. in EDU 130
- Dec. 11 at 8:15 a.m. in EDU 112
- Jan. 28 at 5 p.m. in EDU 112 *note new date
Child Welfare Stipend Application Forms
First-time applicants, use this application form:
Second-time applicants, use this application form:
All applicants must submit two recommendations using this recommendation form: