Center for Community Partnerships Achieve Your Goals
The Empowerment Course facilitates successful employment and educational outcomes for young adults with disabilities.
We emphasize self-advocacy skills, and teach our students to identify, obtain, and keep meaningful employment while on their individualized postsecondary career path.
Students will gain an understanding of how to accentuate strengths and accommodate for challenges while increasing independence and career/life goal achievement. Upon completion of the course, participants will receive badges, a certificate and continuing education units.
Course instructors are licensed Occupational Therapists and human service professionals in the Department of Occupational Therapy who specialize in assisting individuals with disabilities in meeting their education and employment goals.
Empowerment Course Who Should Apply?
- High school graduates or GED recipients
- Prior IEP recipients or who qualified for an IEP
- Ages 18-26
- Unemployed or Underemployed
- Motivated to work and need help getting on the right career path
- Basic reading and writing comprehension
- Able to use transportation independently
- Willingness to talk about your disabilities and challenges
- Able to learn new skills
- Interested in becoming more independent
The Empowerment Program has been very helpful to Christina.
“She is now able to prepare resumes, approach job interviews with more confidence and knows how to ask for accommodations to make her job experience more successful. At the end of the semester, she did an impressive job presenting her aspirations for the future to the class”