What is ReadSpeaker?
ReadSpeaker is a reading and studying tool for Canvas. The suite includes three products:
- ReadSpeaker webReader (Canvas content)
- TextAid (Documents in Canvas)
- TextAid Extension (Other browser content, including OER textbooks)
These tools are available for all students and faculty to use.
- Online text to speech (TTS) for listening to text
- Converts text to mp3
- Highlights words and sentences as it reads the text
- Voice adjustments (speed, voice, language)
- Visual adjustments (fonts, sizes, background colors)
- Annotation features (collecting highlights for studying)
Colorado State University is piloting the ReadSpeaker suite for the academic year 2022-2023. During this time, the ATRC would appreciate any feedback on your experience with the tools. This will help us determine whether to renew the software going forward.
If you have questions or feedback about any of these tools, please contact the ATRC.
Using ReadSpeaker in Canvas
ReadSpeaker is a toolbar that you can use to read web content in Canvas. This excludes documents that have been uploaded (see TextAid for this feature).
Note: ReadSpeaker is not yet available in the Canvas mobile app. It is only available in a browser.
For additional video tutorials on ReadSpeaker, see the following YouTube playlists:
What is TextAid?
TextAid is a text-to-speech and literacy tool for documents that the webReader is unable to read, including PDFs. It can also export readings into audio files that you can use on the go.
TextAid appears in the course menu in Canvas, the same menu where you find Modules, Grades and Assignments. When you click on TextAid, it will open in a new tab.:
For additional video tutorials on TextAid, see these YouTube playlists:
What is TextAid Extension?
The TextAid Extension is an additional toolbar that can be used on websites outside of Canvas.
- Consider trying the browser extension with OER textbooks and other web content.
- To install the browser extension:
- For written instructions, download Installing the Extension (PDF).
- See the YouTube Video: How to Add the ReadSpeaker TextAid Extension to Your Browser
- Note: The browser extension is activated by first going to TextAid in Canvas. Launch from TextAid every time you use the extension to ‘login’ with CSU’s institutional account.
For additional video tutorials, see the following YouTube playlist: