Teaching Collection Avenir Museum Origins
The Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising has its origins in the early 1950s as a small faculty teaching resource in the former Department of Home Economics.
The museum has undergone significant changes over the years. In 2016, the existing 8,000 square feet were completely renovated, and 10,000 square feet were added. The project was made possible by a lead gift from the Avenir Foundation and significant funding from other benefactors.
The museum now contains three galleries, a classroom and seminar space, a library, a conservation laboratory, and expanded collection storage and management areas.
Learn more about us and the people behind the Avenir Museum!
People of the Avenir
About the Collection
Threads of our Community
In 1948, Dagmar Gustafson began a position as Associate Professor of Textiles and Clothing in what was then called the Division of Home Economics at Colorado A&M. For the next twenty years, she taught several courses in clothing and textiles, became head of the department, and expanded the curriculum to include industry internships for students. Among her many achievements, and one of her most visible and lasting legacies was the establishment of the historic clothing and textiles collection. This collection would go on to become the Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising.