To get an in-depth look at the Early Childhood Center classrooms, watch the virtual tour below!
As the laboratory school within the Department of Human Development and Family Studies, the CSU Early Childhood Center serves a three-fold mission of teaching, research, and service.
Learn More About Us
The ECC is licensed by the Colorado Department of Human Services and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. NAEYC strives to raise the quality of education for all children from birth through age eight. Accreditation systems are a major part of NAEYC’s efforts to improve early childhood education; they allow programs to provide the best learning experiences for young children and their educators by meeting national standards of quality. Since 1985, NAEYC’s national accreditation system has set professional standards for early childhood education programs, allowing families to find high-quality programs for their children.
The ECC is licensed to provide care for children between the ages of 6 weeks to 6 years.
The ECC has been in existence for over 90 years. The program originally opened in 1929 at the site where the Rainbow Restaurant now sits on Laurel Street. At that time it was a summer-only program. The preschool moved to Rockwell Hall in 1972 and in 1974 the Village Child Care Center opened across the street from the Gifford Building. In 1976 the ECC moved into the Gifford Building and in 2012 the ECC expanded its services to include infants and toddlers. In January 2013, the ECC moved its operations from the Gifford Building to its current location at 223 S. Shields, the historic Washington School building.