New Threads examines what makes textile or apparel objects “museum worthy” for acceptance into our collection.
By showcasing the Avenir Museum’s most recent acquisitions. Spring 2019 features a breadth of garments, including a man’s boldly printed velvet tuxedo jacket from the swinging 1960s, two women’s coats showing different adaptations of the paisley pattern, and two late-nineteenth century “sakiori obi” – rag woven sashes from Japan.
The Lucile E. Hawks Gallery More Information
Location and Hours
The Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising is our flagship location, featuring exhibitions from our extensive collection of textile and historic costume artifacts.
- Location: 216 E. Lake Street, University Center for the Arts-East building – Campus Map
- Hours: Monday through Friday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Admission: Free; self-guided
- Closed for University Holidays, Fall, Winter (December 24-28, 2018) and Spring Breaks
- Contact: (970) 491-1983
- Parking: There is no dedicated visitor parking for the Avenir Museum. On-street parking is located in the neighborhoods surrounding the University Center for the Arts and the Avenir Museum.
- Fall 2016; Spring, Summer, Fall 2017; Spring, Summer, Fall 2018 – New Threads (showcasing the most recent acquisitions every semester)
- Spring and Summer 2016 – Tiny Bits and Pieces