Dior's 'New Look' in the Everyday American Closet
French couturier Christian Dior (1905-1957) was one of the most influential fashion designers of the twentieth century.
His ‘New Look’ debuted in 1947; its feminine silhouette and voluminous fabric yardages quickly seduced post-World War II style setters. Far from the boulevards of Paris, how did the everyday American woman aspire to achieve Dior’s ‘New Look’? The Spring 2019 edition of this year-long “Dior-esque” exhibition features a new selection of c.1950 women’s apparel and accessories – if you visited in Fall 2018, come back to see this semester’s marvelous mid-century fashion classic from the Avenir Museum collection!
Thursday Evening Lecture Series January 31, 2019: "She Adores Dior: An Evening with Florence Müller"
Florence Müller, Avenir Foundation Curator of Textile Art and Fashion at the Denver Art Museum (DAM) since 2015, is the creative force behind the DAM exhibition “Dior: From Paris to the World” (November 19, 2018 – March 3, 2019), surveying more than 70 years of the House of Dior’s enduring legacy and its global influence. Ms. Müller’s first collaboration with the DAM was as the chief curator for the 2012 “Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective” exhibition for which the Denver Art Museum was the exclusive U.S. venue; most recently, Müller curated the 70 years retrospective “Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams”, in her former museum in Paris, UCAD/Louvre. She joins us at CSU’s Avenir Museum to speak about her experiences curating exhibitions of Dior couture around the world.
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Avenir Museum, Classroom 157, 216 East Lake Street, UCA-East building – Campus Map
Cost: FREE and open to the public (please note: audience size will be limited to room capacity of 100 guests)
The Richard Blackwell Gallery More Information
Location and Hours
The Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising is our flagship location, featuring exhibitions from our extensive collection of textile and historic costume artifacts.
- Location: 216 E. Lake Street, University Center for the Arts-East building – Campus Map
- Hours: Monday through Friday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Admission: Free; self-guided
- Closed for University Holidays, Fall, Winter (December 24-28, 2018) and Spring Breaks
- Contact: (970) 491-1983
- Parking: There is no dedicated visitor parking for the Avenir Museum. On-street parking is located in the neighborhoods surrounding the University Center for the Arts and the Avenir Museum.
- Fall 2018 – Dior’s ‘New Look’ in the Everyday American Closet (Part 1)
- Spring-Summer 2018 – ORANGE: a short history of orange in fashion
- Summer-Fall 2017 – The Allure of the Moroccan Caftan
- Spring 2017 – Garden Party
- Fall 2016 – Evolution of a Colorado Clothing Designer
- Spring 2016 – Mr Blackwell: ‘artist of subtle witchery’