Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a bachelor's degree in Design and Merchandising to be considered?
Apparel and Merchandising
- We don’t require a bachelor’s degree in apparel and merchandising to apply for the Apparel and Merchandising Specialization. However, if your degree is in another field, you will need to take some undergraduate background courses.
- We don’t require a bachelor’s degree in interior design to apply for our Interior Design Specialization. However, if your degree is in another field, you will need to take some undergraduate background courses.
Do you offer a Ph.D?
Unfortunately, we don’t offer a doctoral degree at this time. However, our Master of Science degree gives you a solid foundation for doctoral study. Many of our graduate students go on to pursue doctoral-level work.
Is there any financial assistance available to graduate students?
Yes. Please visit our assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships page.
For additional funding opportunities, please visit the Graduate School website.
What are the course fees?
For information about course fees, please visit Student Financial Services.
What is the academic calendar?
Do you require GRE scores? What scores do I need?
We use the following policies for GRE scores:
- < 5 years of relevant professional/industry experience AND cumulative undergraduate GPA ≥ 3.5: GRE not required
- < 5 years of relevant professional/industry experience AND cumulative undergraduate GPA < 3.5: GRE required
- ≥ 5 years of relevant professional/industry experience: GRE not required
- All international students must submit GRE scores.
CSU institution code: 4075
Do you require TOEFL scores for international students?
We require TOEFL scores from all of our International students.
The minimum scores required for admission to the Graduate School at Colorado State University are:
- 550 – on the written version of the test.
- 213 – on the computer version of the test.
- 80 – on the online version of the test.
Are there other requirements for international students?
International applicants need to complete the following:
- Request that official GRE and official TOEFL examination scores be reported from ETS to Colorado State University – use CSU institution code: 4075.
- Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Request that official international paper transcripts and certified translations from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended be sent to Office of Admissions, 1062 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062.
- Colorado State University transcripts are not required.
- Request three letters of recommendation; you will be asked to provide names and contact information for those writing letters when you complete the online application.
- Submit the Application fee to the Office of Admissions.
- Once the application fee is received, your application will be processed.
- If applying to more than one department, a non-refundable application fee is required for each application submitted.
- Obtain a student visa.
- Once you are admitted, you will receive information from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) about the process to obtain an F or J student visa.
- An overview of this process can be found on the ISSS website: first, you receive an immigration document from CSU and then you apply for a visa with the US government.
- If you already hold a US visa that allows for full-time study (such as H4, L2, or E2), you can indicate this on your application and will not need to obtain a student visa.
Do you offer evening or correspondence classes through Colorado State University?
Most courses are offered during daytime hours and on-campus. However, the department may offer some evening and online courses during certain semesters and/or summer session.
How do you work with transfer students?
A transfer evaluation is conducted to evaluate how a student’s previous coursework can count toward the degree requirements of the Department. Only six credits may be applied to the Design and Merchandising master’s degree.