Career Fair Tips to Help you Succeed
Before Career Fair
- Prepare a RESUME with NO grammatical errors. We offer templates and assistance.
- RESEARCH and PRIORITIZE your employer list and identify your top 20. Be sure you research who they are and what they do! Review the list of participating companies on the career fair page.
- Ensure you have a list of questions to ask recruiters, which are specific to each company and/or industry.
- PREPARE basic information and experience to talk about with recruiters.
Day of Career Fair
- DRESS APPROPRIATELY – like you are going to an interview. Suits are recommended. See CSU Career Center’s Dress for Success Guide
- BRING STUDENT ID – it will be scanned for check-in and to print your name badge
- BRING YOUR RESUME – copies for everyone on your list (30 copies are recommended!)
- GREET EMPLOYERS with a solid handshake, eye contact, and a smile
- BE prepared, enthusiastic, and respectful of their time
- If selected to attend interviews and/or dinner following the Career Fair make sure you confirm the invitations and show up!
- With few exceptions, undergraduate CON COURSES BETWEEN 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. ARE CANCELLED, but it is your responsibility to confirm this with your instructors.
After Career Fair
- WRITE a brief thank-you note to companies you were excited about or interviewed with. Send the note immediately after Career Fair/dinner/interview. In your note, state your enthusiasm for the opportunity and chance to work for the company.
- EMAIL is acceptable – make sure to attach a PDF copy of your resume to the email.
Career Fair Frequently Asked Questions
How many resumes should I bring to the Career Fair?
Bring enough for all the companies on your list that you plan to visit. A good rule of thumb is to bring at least 25 copies.
Should I bring reference sheets to the Career Fair?
It is a good idea to bring a few reference sheets, but you do not need one for every company you plan to visit. It is a good idea to bring 5-10 reference sheets, but do not voluntarily hand them out. If a company requests them, make a note of who you gave them to and give your references a heads up
that that company will likely contact them.
How should I dress for the Career Fair?
The CM Career Fair is a professional event and a dress code is strictly enforced. Suits recommended, business casual at a minimum. Students or alumni who show up in jeans or sneakers will not be admitted.
How do I first approach a recruiter?
- Introduce yourself in 20 seconds or less! Google “30-second elevator speech” for tips and more information.
- Have a few initial questions about the company to ask the recruiter that you could not have easily found in the program or at their website beforehand. The conversation should flow from there.
Who can attend the CM Career Fair?
The Career Fair is open ONLY to current CSU students and graduates of the CM program.
Do students need to register for the CM Career Fair?
No. Any current CSU students, as well as CM Alumni, are welcome to attend the CM Career Fair. Bring identification (preferably your student ID) to student check-in at the door.
What if I have class during the time of the Career Fair?
Most CM classes between 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. are canceled for the day but it is your responsibility to confirm this with your professors!