The Heart Disease Prevention Program is open to individuals who are interested in heart health assessments, and it is covered under the Commitment to Campus program for CSU employees with Anthem and UnitedHealthcare health benefits. The program has been successfully implemented in fire agencies across the state and is a valuable service to support the health and wellness of firefighters. We have recently extended the program to law enforcement agencies as well. Program goals include:
- Assessment of known risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Reduction of the likelihood of developing heart and vascular disease
- Use of cardiovascular risk factor status in the development of individualized strategies for lifestyle changes
Heart Disease Prevention Program About Our Program
The Heart Disease Prevention Program involves two visits to the Human Performance Clinical Research Lab. Prior to your testing visit, you will need to complete several questionnaires and have blood and urine collected at one of our contracted specimen collection sites. The questionnaires include medical history and behavioral health questionnaires and an optional diet diary.
During your testing visit, several measurements are taken to assess body composition, lung function, strength, and flexibility. You will undergo a treadmill test to assess your functional capacity and heart function. This visit lasts approximately two hours. During your follow-up visit, we review your results with you and provide suggestions for lifestyle changes. You will receive a booklet containing your results. We will forward your results to your physician at no charge upon request.
How to Participate Important Information
The fee for this comprehensive program is $480.
- Blood work and urinalysis
- Anthropometrics (skinfold assessment of body composition, sagittal diameter and circumference measurements)
- Vital signs at rest while sitting and standing and during exercise
- Electrocardiogram at rest while sitting and standing and during exercise (reviewed by a physician)
- Flexibility assessment
- Muscular strength assessment
- Pulmonary function testing
- Cardiorespiratory and physical examination by a physician
- Graded exercise test
- Coronary risk profile
- Exercise prescription
- Dietary analysis
- Review of results and lifestyle suggestions
If you are a CSU employee and you have Anthem CSU GREEN, CSU GOLD, CSU POS and CSU RAM, Cigna and United Healthcare plan subscribers. All others receive a 20% discount.
How to Get Started
Contact Tiffany Lipsey at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your questions answered and schedule an appointment.